Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

been dealing with my dads inheritance lawyers for almost a

been dealing with my dads inheritance lawyers for almost a year now. I am finally getting the last of the inheritance by way of a certified check for his checking account. I received an accounting from this attorney and signed off on it. I am now being told by him that 3,000 dollars will be withheld in case there are any other bills and my fathers wife the trustee needs to sign off on this amount as well. How can he withhold more money when I have already received an accounting? Which by the way, was not itemized and I was uncomfortable with. Is this normal?

Your question: Is this normal?

Answer: No, it is not normal. First, if a ;probate estate was opened and more than a year has passed, the personal representative should know what all the debts are by now. Therefore, withholding $3,000 for unpaid bills is not normal at this juncture. The final account that you received should have listed the total assets of the estate and each item of expense that is claimed as a deduction. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is the balance for distribution to the heirs. Anything less than that should not have been signed off on by either the trustee or other heirs.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

specifically, when I am being charged thousands of dollars for his legal services, is it normal to just give me a date and an amount I was charged without knowing how much time and what tasks they performed on that particular day ? I mean why are his services not itemized?

thank you

There is no standard billing format for attorneys. The client is always entitled to an itemized breakdown of attorney charges when they are based on an hourly billing rate. If a bill is based on a percentage of the money involved though, the attorney might not keep time records. These requirements are usually part of the attorney-client agreement at the beginning of the representation.