Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I am Guardian over my mothers estate who is in a nursing home

I am Guardian over my mothers estate who is in a nursing home with full altimers she is with Medicaid and Medicare and has no money. my father is deceased 5 years ago and my mother h. my mother is 92 years oldas been in a nursing home for 4 years, this is being paid by Medicare and Medicaid. She iS being Sued by harris county for back taxes... It was in my father's name without my mother's knowledge. I received notice from the court saying that my mother is being sued from my father not paying taxes on that and they say that I am responsible for that debt. I am The Guardian of my mother do to her illness only. my question is is a guardian responsible for parents debt if they have no money and no means of getting any money. my mother is 92 years old
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
my question is is a guardian responsible for parents debt if they have no money and no means of getting any money.
.
No, a guardian is not personally responsible for the debts of the ward. The guardian is only in charge of handling and managing the assets of the ward and paying any debts out of those assets. So if there aren't any assets to pay the debts, then they just go unpaid.
.
If you are named as part of any lawsuit, it would only be in your official capacity as guardian over mother, not in a personal capacity. Since you are the legal representative in charge of mother's care and assets, they would name you in any lawsuit along with mother. But they aren't suing you personally.
.
You can't be held personally liable for mother and father's debts.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate