Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

My mother passed away in July of 2009. Her will left everything

My mother passed away in July of 2009. Her will left everything to me. Now my sisters want to contest the will. The will was notorized and witnessed by 2 people. my mother was in a nursing home at the time of her death. I receive royalties from property she left to me. The will was never filed in court, but at the time of her death, my sisters signed off on the royalties and sent the paper work to the company that theroyalties come from. Can they now, after all these years contest the will?
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

A will can be contested until a certain period of time after it has been filed for probate. If you never filed it for probate then the time limits never started running and the will can be contested.

However, it is much harder to contest a will than people think and usually what happens is they end up spending a lot of money and getting nothing.

Did the will have a no contest clause?

I will be assisting some others this morning so it may take a little while for me to get back to you after you respond so please be patient.