Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

My Dad passed away last October, after which my Mom went to

My Dad passed away last October, after which my Mom went to their Estate Lawyer to make some changes in the will (I did not go with her, but I assume it was to take my Dad's name off joint things and whatever he was bequeathed). My Mother just passed away June 5th! At the "reading of the will I mentioned about my Mom's prior visit and the lawyer replied, shortly "Did you come with her??" When I said No, he dismissed me as though I hadn't spoken. Two days later I had to drop off some paper work and his secty. Said "When your Mom was here last Oct. it was something minor and we didn't even charge her" I was dumbfounded because I distinctly remember her telling me it was a lot of $!! I looked it up and it was $780.00 to b exact!! Why are they lying?? I'm now ANXIOUS!! Can we TRUST THEM?? I'm waiting on the cancelled check frm the bank before I say anything. DO I SAY ANYTHING?? There have been a couple of things were I just feel he's sneaky and/or underhanded and I really don't know what to do! PLEASE HELP!!!
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Although the attorney doesn't have a particularly polite demeanor, he is correct in that any communications between him and your mother are confidential and that duty of confidentiality endures even after the death to the client. So he would be legally prohibited from discussing her visit with you unless mother had explicitly given him permission to.
But I haven't seen very many lawyers that don't start the meter running as soon as someone enters their office. It is possible that the assistant was incorrect or was thinking about some subsequent visit to clear up some minor change that was necessary from the original appointment.
At this point, I am not sure that you would have any legal recourse whether they were mistaken or outright lying about charging mother because the attorney could simply say it was confidential.
But if the attorney is assisting with settling mother's estate and you aren't comfortable with him, the executor can always fire them and retain another attorney to assist. If you are getting a bad feeling about him, trust that feeling and get the executor to find a new attorney (if the executor is not you). Your instincts will not usually lead you down the wrong path if you get a bad feeling about someone.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.