Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

My father left a will stating exactly who gets what but unfortunately,

My father left a will stating exactly who gets what but unfortunately, there's not enough money in the estate to pay off the estate bills nor his medical bills. If this is the case, shouldn't I, the executor of his estate be able to sell some things that he left to someone else because there's not enough money to pay off the estate bills? Then, once that's done, I could give that person the remaining balance.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You are correct. Before any distributions can be made from the estate to beneficiaries, the creditors of the estate and the decedent have the priority and the right to be paid in full from the estate assets before any distributions can be made from the estate to beneficiaries. It's the beneficiaries that get shorted, not the creditors, if there are not sufficient assets in the estate.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: