Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

My mother recently passed away and I as her son made all the

My mother recently passed away and I as her son made all the calls to the credit card companies & to her medical insurance company as well. Today I received a letter from AARP which says Authorization for release of information. I check a box stating no spouse survives: and answered that I was her Son Below I read a statement that " I certify that given information above is true and correct. The next statement is where my question is it states The claimant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless United healthcare insurance company or United healthcare insurance company of New York from any claims, demand, action, causes of actions whatsoever brought or made in connection with any and all payments made by United healthcare in reliance on this document.". By signing these letters can I be held accountable for any medical bills she has?

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Why are you required to authorize the release of information?

What are you seeking to accomplish in this regard?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I called AARP they said that since there is no spouse and I am her son I can speak for her

since there is no estate/will or executor I just want to make sure that I cannot be held accountable for any medical bills she has during her most recent hospital stay before she passed.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

My condolences for your loss. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Yes, you could be held liable under under that indemnification. Since there is no estate and you, as her son, have no liability for her debts, medical or otherwise, there is absolutely no reason formyou to sign anything which provides for indemnification for any reason.

The insurance company is liable for payment of all covered debt regardless of your involvement. You are not even required to forward her bills. Therefore, I can not think of any possible reason for you to sign this document.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/   Best wishes and good luck to you.If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.