How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36109
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my father recently passed , but lived in a different city .

This answer was rated:

my father recently passed , but lived in a different city . he left no will but left a step daughter with the power of attorney .he owned a home which was paid off. can I petition the court in that city to grant me the home or at least a stake in the home and his person property. such as personal bank account. saving bonds and stocks. also how much time do I have to petition the court . my father died in may 2013. he lived in Chicago I live in California.

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.

Since he left no will here you can make application for court supervised probate here in Illinois.I would suggest an Illinois lawyer to file this on your behalf.You may be appointed personal administrator of the estate.You would gather assets, pay any creditors, taxes and the rest is distributed to the legal heirs under the Illinois laws of intestacy( no will).

You are permitted to be paid a fee for your work as personal administrator in this matter as well.Once you are appointed then you would have access to nay bank accounts or other assets here and you would then gather them into an estate account.

You would apply for an EIN number for the estate from IRS.This takes the place of his social security since he has deceased.

EIN number information

You also are entitle to a small death benefit from social security.You can apply for this once you are named personal representative.This process takes roughly a year to 18 months from start to finish.

Here is Illinois lawyer referral for you.You want a probate lawyer.

Illinois laws of intestacy--note stepdaughter would not be an heir..You may well get all of it unless there are other siblings.The court makes this determination using these laws in probate as part of administration.

Under Illinois law law, personal representatives are entitled to "reasonable compensation" for their services. (Ill.Rev.Stat.1985, ch. 110 1/2, pars. 27-1, 27-2.) The decision as to what constitutes reasonable compensation is a matter peculiarly within the province and discretion of the trial court. (In re Estate of Thomson (1986), 139 Ill.App.3d 930, 94 Ill.Dec. 316, 487 N.E.2d 1193; In re Estate of Rumoro (1980), 90 Ill.App.3d 383, 45 Ill.Dec. 737, 413 N.E.2d 70.) There is no clear-cut rule to guide the court in ascertaining what constitutes a reasonable fee, and consequently, the determination must be based on the facts and circumstances of the particular case before the court. (In re Estate of Brown (1978), 58 Ill.App.3d 697, 15 Ill.Dec. 916, 374 N.E.2d 699.)

More here about the probate process in Illinois

As the fees must be submitted to the probate court for approval, you would keep good records of your time and what you did by date, and you will have to prove the number of hours worked on the estate matters and usually the customary hourly rate is between $20-$40 per hour (depending on complexity and experience of personal representative).

It has been my pleasure to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.


I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.






This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Here are the probate laws for Illinois skip down to Article 9 where it talks about administration --this is the situation where there is no will and court supervises the entire process..

Also know the lawyer fees for the estate as any other debts and reimbursement say your travel would come out of the estate here befoer distribution.

Thanks again.

RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36109
Experience: Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
RayAnswers and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
< Previous | Next >
  • My husband has been driving me insane with questions regarding estate issues since his mother died. I'm not a lawyer! Thanks to JustAnswer, I was able to calm his concerns. Loretta T Illinois
  • Thanks Adam!! - A very direct and understandable response - you have been a great help! Happy Customer Ellicott City, MD
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas McJD

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas McJD's Avatar

    Thomas McJD


    Satisfied Customers:

    Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
  • RayAnswers's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • Dimitry Esquire's Avatar

    Dimitry Esquire


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration