RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

I inherited money from grandparents. The money was put into

I inherited money from grandparents. The money was put into a brokerage account directly with only my name on the account (not my husbands). I have never transferred any other money into this brokerage account. During divorce, is my husband entitled to any of this money? We live in NJ. Thanks.

Thanks for your question and good morning.

Inheritance here in NJ is considered separate non marital property.As long as you do not comingle it--which you state has not occurred this should be awarded to you in a divorce.Inheritance is one of the exceptions to the rule that any property acquired during the marriage becomes marital property.An exception exists for inheritance as it remains separate property of he person who inherits it.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that this should be your separate property under NJ law and your husband would not have any claim to it.

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Thanks for your recent estate law question .If you have more in the future please post them for Ray. Thanks again.