Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

Can a sibling and also the person named as executor of a will

Can a sibling and also the person named as executor of a will sign as witnesses to the will if neither are named as beneficiaries in the will?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Yes. Pursuant to District of Columbia Code Annotated, Division 3 Decedents’ Estates and Fiduciary Relations, Title 18 Wills, Chapter 1 General Provisions, Section 18-104, any person who is credible may be a witness to a will. You would want the witnesses to the will be “disinterested”, which means that they are not beneficiaries of the will, but a will is not made invalid because of an interested witness, but any gift to a witness is void, unless the interested witness is an heir to the testator. The interested witness then must forfeit the portion of the gift that exceeds the value they would have received if the testator had died intestate. But, acting as an executor does not disqualify one as a witness.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: