How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 54718
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother died august 13 2011. she did not have a will. i live

This answer was rated:

my mother died august 13 2011. she did not have a will. i live in her home. everything is still in my mother's name. she got a loan from one main financial and used the home as collateral. i am paying on that loan to keep the home.she also has funds in the bank and stock.what can i do to have these things change over to me her daughter?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. I'm presuming she had no surviving that correct? Also, do you have any siblings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no spouse and no siblings

Thanks for your reply. Since your mother died without a will, the NC intestate succession laws govern what happens to her estate. Since she had no surviving spouse and you are an only child, you will inherit her entire estate pursuant to the NC statute set forth below. In order to transfer title to the property and to access the bank accounts and stock, you will need to file a petition with the probate court in the county in which your mom resided at her death to be appointed the administrator of her estate. The court will then issue you documentation evidencing that appointment and it is that documentation that will give you the authority necessary to transfer title and access bank accounts and stock.

"§ 29‑15. Shares of others than surviving spouse.
Those persons surviving the intestate, other than the surviving spouse, shall take that share of the net estate not distributable to the surviving spouse, or the entire net estate if there is no surviving spouse, as follows:
(1) If the intestate is survived by only one child or by only one lineal descendant of only one deceased child, that person shall take the entire net estate or share;"

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:

Related Estate Law Questions