RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 29 years in Estate law
8534270

Yolande Mastroianni died in June 2013. She was 90. She left

Customer Question

Yolande Mastroianni died in June 2013. She was 90. She left behind a biological son.....and a step daughter who was never adopted but was very much a part of her life for 60 plus years. She left about 100,000 in assets. Her will was was done in 1973 which clearly left all her possessions to her biological son. I am the non adoptive step child...from Vermont. What are my rights?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question and good afternoon.Can you give me more information here?Were you named as an heir in the will?And let me confirm that you were a step child here, no blood relation or adopted by the deceased?I will be happy to respond I just need a bit more information here to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I was not named as an heir in her will and yes I am a step child...no blood relation. She and my father were married for twelve years before he died in 1964. Since then, she and I spent a harmonious life together.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for your loss of someone so close to you and in your life.If the will she had was valid then it would control her estate here.Unless she named you on a bank account, life insurance, etc as a named beneficiary then I am afraid that you would not have a claim to her estate.

The only way you would have a legal interest as an heir is if she either named you in her will or as a named beneficiary.

I am truly sorry but I see this all to often as a probate lawyer.Often people fail to update their wills as new people come into their lives and provide them with care and assistance.I honestly wish I had better news for you.

This is certainly one of the hardest things I have to do as a lawyer, giving people bad news.But I know you want to know the law here and unless you are named in the will or as a named beneficiary on insurance or bank accounts I am afraid you would not be an heir or a beneficiary.Again I am so sorry to have to tell you this.

I do appreciate the chance to provide you the information you asked for.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again for the chance to help.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.