Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My sisters and I have recently inherited the family cottage

My sisters and I have recently inherited the family cottage as tenants in common, each owning one third. I would like to add my 2 daughters to my third. How would I go about doing that? And do my sisters have to know if I've added other people to my share?

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

Your sisters should know but they don't have to. Knowing would help get everyone organized and on the same page regarding expenses, sharing those expenses/costs, etc. A tenant in common can freely transfer the tenants share of the property. You would just use a quitclaim or other type of deed to transfer your 1/3 share to yourself and your two daughters (each of you to have a 1/3 interest in your 1/3 interest - 1/9 each). You would then record that deed with the county clerk or recorder of deeds for the county in which the property is located. If you wanted, just having you and your daughters as tenants in common is fine but your 1/9 would be part of your probate estate on your death. To have your share automatically transfer to your daughters, you need to do the deed from you to all three of you as "joint tenants with right of survivorship." You can find deed forms online for free or a small fee from websites like, and (among others).

I see you are in Canada. Those websites will have US legal forms, not Canada forms, but you can still locate deeds online for Canada. The law regarding tenancy in common and joint tenancy is the same.