John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

Hi, I am helping my elderly parents set up a Living Trust and

Hi, I am helping my elderly parents set up a Living Trust and want to record a quitclaim deed in Cook County, IL to transfer their home, which is owned free and clear, to the Joint Living Trust. The grantor's of the trust are also the grantee's of the trust. Should I release the homestead exemption?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

No you should not. Since the trust is a revocable living trust, it is still considered their assets for most government and creditor purposes. They would still be able to claim the homestead exemption even if the revocable living trust owns the property.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,