Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

The state has sent me a letter stating, sorry about my lost

Customer Question

The state has sent me a letter stating, sorry about my lost of my father. DDS will now recover their monies from when my mother was on medicaid $$$. My father never passed away. Can I sued DDS?
Thank You,
J
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
In order to be able to sue a person or entity, they would first have to be subject to civil suit. Then you would have to be able to prove monetary damages in order to recover.
.
In this case, since this is a governmental agency, they would have "soverign immunity" and wouldn't be subject to civil suit. On top of this, since this is clearly a clerical error and not some type of willful or malicious act, you wouldn't be able to sue for something like harassment or intentional infliction of emotional distress.
.
Unfortunately, although they were clearly showing their incompetence, you wouldn't have any legal recourse against them for their error.
.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.