John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

May an attorney who prepared a Will for a client reveal the

May an attorney who prepared a Will for a client reveal the contents of the Will to the named beneficiary and executor (step-daughter) or is it confidential? May he discuss with client's daughters who were left out of the Will?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

The attorney who prepared a will is only able to disclose information based on the consent of the person that made the will. If that person is deceased the attorney can discuss the will with the executor of the will. The attorney is not authorized to disclose the will with anyone else.

Once the will is filed with the probate court the information in the will is then public. When the information in the will is public the attorney can disclose information in the will based on the judgment of the attorney.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The deceased did not give the Will to anyone. His apartment was ransacked and the Will not found. Does that change your answer?

I am not sure exactly how that changes my response. The attorney can release the will or a copy of the will to the executor of the estate.

Do you know who the attorney is that drafted the will?

I am not sure what other questions are you are asking?