John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

I am a beneficiary to an estate that is being controlled by

I am a beneficiary to an estate that is being controlled by a court appointed representative.
There are several real estate properties involved with the estate.
I do not believe the value of the properties exceed 1 million dollars total.

Does the trustee have to file estate tax returns for the estate until it closes?
My father passed away on October 17, 2009.

Is the trustee responsible for making sure the final federal personal income tax return has been filed?

Am I entitled to see copies of the tax returns, if they are required to be filed, as a beneficiary to the estate?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  John Elder replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

The Federal Estate Tax exemption for 2009 was 3.5 million dollars. Florida only charges tax if there are assets above the exemption amount. If the estate was less than 1 million dollars, no estate tax return would be filed. An estate tax return is only filed if the assets are above the exemption amount.

As far as income tax returns are concerned, the executor or trustee is required to file income tax returns until the final distribution and the estate is closed. They would file form 1041. A 1041 would be required if the income earned with the trust in a year was more than $600. If a 1041 was filed and you are one of the beneficiaries of the trust then you likely would have received a document called a K-1 showing your income tax liability for any distributions made from the trust.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I can provide you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you feel there is something more I could have done please do not rate me and click REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A trust is not involved.

My father died without having a will, which is why the court appointed a representative.

Some of the properties involved with the estate are rented.

Some not.

How is the income from the properties after my father's death reported?

Expert:  John Elder replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I believed there may be a trust since you referred to a Trustee. The administrator of the estate would still report the income over $700 annual on a 1041. You would receive a K-1 for any distributions of that income to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not received K-1s from the court appointed representative.

As I am aware, no distributions have been made.

Am I, as a beneficiary, entitled to received copies of the 1041s and final personal federal income tax return filed?

Expert:  John Elder replied 1 year ago.
You are not generally entitled to receive that information as a beneficiary. You could request that information and general information about the progress of the estate administration. If you are not getting information on the progress you can file a petition with the probate court requesting the administrator be removed for failure meet their fiduciary duty to keep you informed and proceed with administration in a timely manner.
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience: Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.