Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

As the Executor of my moms estate, is it appropriate to give

As the Executor of my mom's estate, is it appropriate to give my brother a "To Whom It May Concern" letter stating the current share of his inheritance so he can use it as collateral for a loan?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. There would be nothing improper against writing such a letter, but you would want to condition the amount based upon: i) the estate is still under administration and all liabilities and debts of the estate (including adminstration costs) and/or decedent may not yet be known; ii) the fact that until such time, no distributions of the estate to beneficiaries will be made; and iii) that the letter is simply an estimate of the beneficiary's inheritance and that such estimate shall in no way give any recipient of the letter any right or claim against the estate itself or the executor as the result of this letter.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My concern is that he's in debt and may use the letter with many sources and put the Estate at risk.

Thanks for following up. You have no legal obligation to sign or deliver such a letter. In this situation, I would simply refuse to provide it.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: