John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

My mother passed away in 2012, and she has a bank account with

My mother passed away in 2012, and she has a bank account with her name on it and my name as POA on it. It was set up when we were getting her approved for medicaid and designated it to be 'for burial purposes only'. Since I did not put my name on it as POD and cannot access it to use the money as it was intended. Can I submit a request to probate court to release this account without using the expense of a lawyer?

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Yes, you can go to the local probate court in the county where she died and file for probate. If the account (and all other assets) are less than $40,000 then you can file a small estate affidavit to request access to the account. Here is the form that you will need. You will also need a copy of your mother's death certificate.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I can provide you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you feel there is something more I could have done please do not rate me and click REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,