Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

someone kept horses on my property. she owned and cared for

someone kept horses on my property. she owned and cared for the horses. i was charged for neglect. i cannot find a law imposing the property owner to care for another's animal. can you help me?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

What type of help are you looking for?

Customer:

I

Customer:

I would like to know if there is a Michigan law imposing responsibility on a land / property owner for the care of an animal that belongs to someone else. That person owns the animals and has the responsibililty for caring for the horses. As far as I found under Michigan People v. Henderson the owner has the sole responsibility. I am the property owner and am being charges as if I were the owner.

Customer:

I did give some assistance to her in feeding the animals, but that is where my "responsibilities" end.

TMcJD :

Unfortunately, the law is quite broad. It allows charges to be brought against the owner, the person in charge of the animals, OR the possessor. Because the horses were on your land, the statute allows a construction that you were the possessor of the animals. As such, you can unfortunately also be charged with neglect.

TMcJD :

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28rfc1ek55t1ekiq45mzt3al55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-50

TMcJD :

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance. If not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts. Please keep in mind you are rating my professionalism and service, not whether the law is favorable (although I wish I could always say that it was).

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help

TMcJD :

Sorry, I need to change to a different mode so you can rate my service. I wish I could have provided better news.

TMcJD :

Okay, see if you can rate my service now. Thanks and please let me know if I can help with anything in the future. Have a great day!