TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

Can you leave an estate open indefinitely? The estate has been

Can you leave an estate open indefinitely? The estate has been close for a year, however, the mortgage and bank accounts are still in the estate name, how could that happen?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

There is no requirement as to how long the estate can be left open. In your case, it sounds like the personal representative of the estate failed to fully administer the assets if there are still bank accounts in the estate's name. However, depending on the facts, it may make sense for the mortgage to remain in the estate's name. Mortgages can remain in the estate's name forever. Sometimes it's necessary because the heirs may not qualify for their own mortgage, so they may have no choice if they want to keep the property. But if the bank accounts have assets that need to be distributed, then an heir can petition the Orphans’ Court for an accounting and for an order to distribute the asset.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To VAMD" in the subject line of your question.