John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

As a beneficiary of a trust, how do I go about getting the

As a beneficiary of a trust, how do I go about getting the court system to review the actions of a trustee who has taken trust funds with no explanation of what they are for? I know trustee has taken in excess of $60k. I have written and sent him a letter requesting a full accounting which has been ignored.

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

A beneficiary of the trust would need to file a proceeding in Oregon Circuit Court for Breach of Trust and Fiduciary Duty against the Trustee. This will require a formal civil complaint alleging the actions that the trustee has taken to breach the duty of the trustee to the beneficiaries of the trust. This complaint can only be filed by a beneficiary of the trust. The court will then have the authority to review the actions of the trustee and determine if they are a breach of the trustee's duty. These are highly complex civil litigation cases so it is recommended that you hire an experienced Estate litigation attorney to prepare and file the action on behalf of the beneficiary. You can find an estate litigation attorney in the area at

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I can provide you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you feel there is something more I could have done please do not rate me and click REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,