Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Would there be any legal problem if an executor, possessing letters testamentary, represen

Would there be any legal problem if an executor, possessing letters testamentary, represents himself on the phone as the deceased (in order to avoid red tape and policy reissue at the time), when removing sold vehicles from the deceased's auto insurance policy? (Other vehicles would remain on the policy for fire and theft protection until they are sold, thus the reason for not cancelling the policy immediately.)

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

Yes, there could be because that is fraud to represent yourself as someone you are not, especially someone that is no longer living. At this time, the vehicles are property of the probate estate, and so the estate (through the court appointed executor) need to be the named insured on the policies. There could be an issue regarding payment of any claims if an insured risk occurs but the executor hasn't notified the insurance company of death and changed the policies to the estate name.

Thank you. Please let me know if I can help with anything in the future.