J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.

In several states, an office exists called the Public Administrator,

In several states, an office exists called the Public Administrator, whose job it is to determine whether a decedent, who dies intestate, has any living heirs. If the decedent does not have heirs, the Public Administrator is responsible for arranging burial and satisfying debts through the estate, if possible. There does not seem to be a Public Administrator office in Philadelphia, or elsewhere in Pennsylvania. How is the estate handled in PA for a decedent who dies intestate without evidence heirs?

Hello and Welcome! Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

In Pennsylvania it is called the Registers of Wills. Each county typically has its own website for its registry. Here is a link to a list of all county contact provided by a

If there are no heirs including aunts uncles cousins etc., then the estate will be distributed to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Here is a link to the relevant State statute related to intestate succession:

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.