RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

I need to redo my will since my divorce. I have 2 children

I need to redo my will since my divorce. I have 2 children 22 and 20 years old. I would like all I have to go to them but I think they are currently too young. Can I write my own will based on the framework of the old will and have it notarized. Would it be a legal document in the event of my death?
Thanks for your question and good day to you.I would recommend either ordering a new will form here rather than reusing the old one.There may have been changes in the law and these forms reflect current probate law and are valid for Georgia.Here they ask you some brief questions about your particular situation and you get a printed document that reflects your need and desires.

The forms that come from this company come with instructions on how to execute the will properly and complete it.Make sure that you have people other than your children witness the will.

Once you execute the new will you should destroy the old one.It is also possible here for you to prefile a will in the deed records of the county of your residence.This allows it to be recorded and returned to you and prevents any problems with lost wills because the children can always probate the certified copy if necessaary.

If you are going to use the prior will with changes please consider a local lawyer to make sure that the new will that you have prepared meets current law since the one you have is a few years old and changes in your life have occurred.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today,Please let me know if you have follow up.Thanks again.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Here for your information and reference are the Georgia requirements for a valid will..

Thanks again for letting me help you today.It has been my pleasure to do so.
Here is a free will form for you it may save you some $$ here to use this yourself to update your will.

Thanks again for letting me provide you the information you asked for and good luck here.