Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

if at the time a person dies he doesnt own any property is

if at the time a person dies he doesnt own any property is the executor resposible for a debt?

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

No, the executor is only in charge of administering the estate: 1) paying debts with assets that belong to the estate and 2) distributing what's left to heirs or beneficiaries. If there are no assets to pay debts, the executor is not personally liable for those debts. The debts are only debts of the estate.

my husband died 3 years ago and there is a claim on his estate from a doctor. When he died he didn' own a house or even a car. Everything was in my name.