Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My sister found our mothers will the day before she died.

My sister found our mother's will the day before she died. She opened the sealed enveloped, read the will and then kept the fact that it existed a secret from the other siblings. An relative who was present when she opened the enveloped informed us of the will. When confronted she admitted it existed,but had reasons why we should wait to read it. She also changed the locks on our mother's home where she is the only one who has a key. Is this legal? What are the other sibling's rights?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

My sister found our mother's will the day before she died. She opened the sealed enveloped, read the will and then kept the fact that it existed a secret from the other siblings. An relative who was present when she opened the enveloped informed us of the will. When confronted she admitted it existed,but had reasons why we should wait to read it. She also changed the locks on our mother's home where she is the only one who has a key. Is this legal?

Response
: No, it is not. Your sister has absolutely no right to change the locks in your mother's home. As the heirs of your mother’s estate, you have equal rights to the estate as your sister until the Will is read and assets divided as indicated by your mother.

Your sister must produce the Will so that you and the other siblings can see it. Otherwise, you and the other siblings can sue your sister to force her to release the Will. You and the other siblings are the heirs to your mother's estate and are entitled to see the Will to see what your mother left for you.

You may want to retain the services of a local probate litigation Attorney to assist you with the case. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

http://www.lawyers.com

http://www.justia.com

What are the other sibling's rights?

Response 2: See my previous response.