Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

My mom and dad had a will in Michigan and moved to a different

My mom and dad had a will in Michigan and moved to a different house in a different city in Michigan. They had the will made out probably around 2004 and never had it updated. My dad passed away but my mother is still living; would their will that they had still be good for their house where they live now?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. The original will would not have been invalidated simply because they happened to move. Can you tell me how specifically the original will referenced the their residence? Did it simply reference their "principal residence"? Did it reference an address? Is the house mentioned at all specifically? Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just called my mother and she lives in Michigan and I live in Arizona so it's hard to figure out exactly what it says, but she said that I am the personal representative of my dad's will and my adopted brother, of the address where they lived at the time the will was made out, is the personal representative if something happens to me. I guess the will was actually made out in April of 1982 instead of 2004 like I thought it was. I don't believe it actually mentioned the estate address for the will, but it did mention my brother of that address, because he was a child that lived at that address at the time it was made up. I asked my mother to make a copy of the will and send it to me so I could actually read it and see what it said exactly but it will take a while for me to actually get it. So, I don't know if you can actually give me any answers right now or not. Thank you. Sue

Thanks so much for replying. I can still answer the question; I was just trying to determine if the will might have had something odd in it. Moving is not going to invalidate the will. Even if she were to have moved to another state, each state, under the U.S. full faith and credit laws, recognizes and honors the laws and documents of the other states. So, the will, not matter how old, is going to be held to be valid and enforceable. If they want to change the terms of that will, they will need to do so; otherwise, it will be considered the valid last will and testament of the testator and the testator's estate will be governed by this will.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!