TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

New owner is asking me as the previous selling agent to provide

New owner is asking me as the previous selling agent to provide transferable permits (building and Tenant improvement permits from the city) so that when the tenant moves out the space can be ready to lease for the next tenant. They want to hold someone responsible for not having these permits in place. I went to the city to see what permits are in place and could not find any. The Seller told me just to ignore them as the center is in their hands now and they closed the sale. I am worried about misrepresentation. The Seller wont get involved or even offer a concession.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Did you personally misrepresent anything? Or were you merely relaying information from the seller?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only relaying information from the Seller. Even 3 appraisals were done and nothing was questioned.

Hi again.

You should be okay if you merely passed along information from the seller, and you represented that it was from the seller. You do not have an obligation to verify the information that the seller gives you. If you know something is not true, then it's possible that you could be held liable (assuming the buyer could prove that you knew that something wasn't true). The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that although you cannot misrepresent something to the buyer, you do not have an obligation to indemnify the buyer against losses that result from the seller's misrepresentations if you did not personally make any misrepresentations. The buyer's recourse, if he has any, is against the seller, not you.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!