Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My mother and her husband own a little piece of property in

My mother and her husband own a little piece of property in Ca.
My mother died in 2008.
*Does that mean her property is half mine by inheritance?
Her husband wants me to sign an Affidavit of Estate.
* Does that mean I release my interest in the property? Does that mean he can sell it without me and without giving me any part of the sale?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
.
This would depend entirely on whether they owned the property as "joint tenants" or as "tenants in common". If it was as joint tenants, which is common with couples, then when one owner passes, their interest extinguishes and the survivor owns the entire property. If they took title as "tenants in common" the each person's 50% would pass down to their heirs.
.
So you would have to look at the actual deed to see what it says about how they took title.
.
.
If he is wanting you to sign a "Small Estate Affidavit" then that just allows him to settle the estate without having to go through a formal probate case in probate court. As part of the affidavit, he swears that he will distribute any assets mother had in her name to her heirs at law. If she had no will, then her husband and children would be the heirs at law.
.
But it wouldn't waive your rights to receive any type of inheritance from mother's estate.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the deed a 'public record'? if so where could I look to find that information?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the deed would be recorded in the local Recorder of Deeds office in the county where the property is located. It is a public document so you can get a copy of it. In the actual written deed, it should mention either "joint tenants" or "tenants in common" in the first couple paragraphs of the deed.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what does it mean to 'settle the estate'

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
It just means that all mother's assets are gathered together, any debts are paid off, and the balance is distributed to the heirs.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it had nothing to do with your advice, it was the service, they charged me $30 separately from the $60 unlimited program that I signed up for at the same time, but because i asked my question prior to signing up for the $60 monthly program for unlimited questions, they charged me $30 for the 1 question and $60 for the monthly unlimited questions.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Sometimes the billing options are a little confusing. I don't know what you have to go through on your side, but I hear it is confusing.
.
.
Thanks