Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

I heard that if a person received money from an estate, and

I heard that if a person received money from an estate, and if someone has a judgement against them, they could keep up to $20,000.00 of it in the bank in an account marked estate account and nobody could take that money. (In AZ) Is this true. If true, what happens if the people trying to collect a debt take the money?

LegalGems :

Hi; My goal is to provide you with great service - if you have any questions during our chat, please ask! I'll do my best to ensure your satisfaction!

LegalGems :

Is the person holding the money holding it as executor of the estate, or as an heir (i.e. the money now belongs to the person)?

Customer:

As an heir

Customer:

This problem is very complicated as the judgement never should have been issued. Tis person never got to present her case in court and the judge was let go a few months later for having alzheimer's

Hello. Another expert here,and I'll try to assist if you are still in need of an Answer.

AZ has no exemption from execution for inherited property or money. Any funds that are held in the name of the judgment debtor are liable for seizure to satisfy the judgment.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: 30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters