Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

My wife died on April7,2013 and left a 100k insurance policy

My wife died on April7,2013 and left a 100k insurance policy to her daughter and nothing to me.My wife did not work so payments on policy were by me. Am I entitled to any of the money or am I sol.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

There is an argument you could make that you should be entitled to an amount equal to at least 1/2, and possibly all, of the amounts that were paid in premiums but not any of the actual policy.

Ok thanks.I felt I should get my money back for the premiums.

JD 1992 :

Generally that is how it would work. I've never seen it tried when the insurance policy went to a child, only when it went to a girlfriend or boyfriend, but the theory is the same.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.