John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

I have a condo in fl. my only asset is a roth ira approx $8000

I have a condo in fl. my only asset is a roth ira approx $8000 and a payed for 8 year old car.I am trying to get the bank to take back the condo. If the won't do deed in lieu then I will have to go through foreclosure I owe about $35,000 asessed value $24,000. I have a Serious health problems resulted in my being placed on perminent disability.My only income is 1410/mo. I have a homestead exemtion on the condo if that makes a difference. Can they take my roth ira or car?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Sorry to hear about your situation. It is hard to imagine that they will not accept a deed in lieu of foreclosure in your situation. All of the assets and income you described are exempt under Florida bankruptcy laws.

You can exempt up to $1,000 in motor vehicle equity. Further, Roth IRA’s are exempt up to $1,171,650. (11 U.S.C. Section 522(b)(3)(C)(n).

Your social security income is exempt under Florida statute 222.201.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,