How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9265
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mother died, the house was in her name ,no will, only living

This answer was rated:

Mother died, the house was in her name ,no will, only living relative is a adult daughter. What happens to the house.   I live in the house now. I pay all the expenses related to house including taxes.

Is the house worth over $100,000?

Are you the daughter?


Is there a mortgage?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No mortgage paid in full. I am the daughter..Not sure of the worth. Its a old frame house built in 1909. Two family house, full unfinished basement, two car garage. I would say its only worth maybe 85,000. Its got vinyl siding on it the inside needs updating. My parents bought it in the 60's.

There will not be any Estate tax but you will have to file a probate case to gain clear title to the real estate, see

The Illinois intestacy laws are summarized at
and some other information is posted at

You can get a free consultation from some of the probate lawyers listed by location at

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.

Related Estate Law Questions