John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

If a man dies and his wife has no insurance policy but his

If a man dies and his wife has no insurance policy but his mother does, can the mother make the funeral decisions since it is her policy paying for the funeral service?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  John Elder replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

The wife has the right to make the funeral decisions. However, the wife is also responsible to pay for the funeral. There is no legal obligation that the mother has to use the insurance money to pay for the funeral.

Unfortunately, this means that if the wife wants help from the mother to pay for the insurance then they are going to have to listen to what the mother wants. If the wife wants to pay for everything then she has no obligation to listen to the mother.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For clarifity,

If the mother did use her insurance to pay because there was no other way to burry her son and she paid for him to be burried in a cakset and the wife wants him cremated but has no money to do so. Who does the funeral gome listen to, the wife with no money or the mother?

Expert:  John Elder replied 1 year ago.
Practically, the mother. While the wife has the legal right to make the decision she has to be able to pay for what she chooses. If she cannot pay then how can she choose anything? A funeral home is not required to do any work without being paid.
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience: Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.