John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

My grandmother purchased a whole life insurance policy for

My grandmother purchased a whole life insurance policy for me and her 8 other granchildren. She purchased my policy when I was 2 years old. My sister has several attornies looking into her policy only to fnd out because the policies are so old the company has been sold 19 times. My question is could there still be funds for myself and my family members even though the company has been sold so many times

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Absolutely. Further, I would not waste my money with attorneys for this. You can do the research just as well as an attorney can. It is really about doing some research, mostly on the internet. The current insurance companies should have online the names of the original companies that all of their policies were issued through. I have never run across a situation where a life insurance policy was not valid because a company sold.

Another free source of help is the North Carolina Department of Insurance. http://www.ncdoi.com/

They will likely be able to pull all old registered insurance agencies and give you the name of the current owner of that agency. You may even find the company information on their site. Here is a link to a company contact directory. http://infoportal.ncdoi.net/cs_cmp_lookup.jsp

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I can provide you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you feel there is something more I could have done please do not rate me and click REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,