Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters

Is there an Indiana law governing easement rights when there

Is there an Indiana law governing easement rights when there are multiple owners of a private lake? We understood there was but I'm not able to find it. We were told there we had the right to walk around the edge of the lake we all own but now are told we could be arrested for tresspassing. If there is a law I need the Indiana Code # XXXXX where I can find it to print it out. How long will it take to get an answer?

Thank you for submitting this question. There is no standard law that applies to all lakes in Indiana. Your plat of survey of the lake will show where each lot lies. If there is a designated common area set out between each lot and the water then each resident has the right to walk that common border area. If not, then each individual property extends into the lake and when you enter their property you are trespassing. The recorded survey is what controls, not what people understand, or what they were told.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.