John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

I have a client whos mother passed away 7/01/2011. All of

I have a client who's mother passed away 7/01/2011. All of the stocks and bonds were sold after her death (12/5/2011). Their is a net LTG from all transactions How is this reported on the 1041? Does this flow through the beneficiaries via K-1.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Yes, the beneficiaries are issued a K-1 based on the distributions made. They will pay the tax on the Long Term Gain.

I am assuming from your question that you have properly calculated the basis being the value on the date of death?

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,