John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

does an illegitimate child have a right to inheritance in

does an illegitimate child have a right to inheritance in arizona
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Yes, if the deceased parent is either on the birth certificate or has been determined by the court as the legal parent. This is so long as the deceased parent never gave up parental rights.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even if there has been no meaningful contact between the parent and child for at least 30 years ?

And what if the property and bank accounts are left in the name of one child (legitimate child) on property and bank documents without an actual will ?

Yes, regardless of the contact. If a Will, beneficiary designations on accounts or joint assets are left differently then the names on those will control. (For example, if the bank accounts you asked about were left in the name of the one child then they would pass only to that one child.)