John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

Can a Trust get out dated due to changing laws or should I

Can a Trust get out dated due to changing laws or should I not be concerned. It was created in 2005.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

That is a great question. So long as your trust was drafted in the state that you are currently living, it would not get out dated just because of the passing of time. However, you may find that your circumstances have changed and that your distribution wishes are different than in 2005. For example you may have originally established trusts for minor children and your children are no longer minors.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,