Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

In Washington State Estate Law which takes precedance regarding

In Washington State Estate Law which takes precedance regarding real estate property?
Real estate property title held in joint tenancy, or named in a testate will?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

Joint tenancy ownership will always take precedence. On the death of one joint owner, the surviving joint owner automatically succeeds to full ownership of the property. In other words, ownership passes by operation of law. As such, the real property never becomes a part of the deceased owner's estate and, therefore, that person's will is irrelevant with regard to the property even if the will mentions that property.

TMcJD :

Please let me know if I can provide clarification or additional information. Thanks.

Customer:

Thank You Very Much, This is what I thought but needed confirmation.

TMcJD :

You're welcome. Just let me know if I can help with anything else. I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating for my time assisting you. Thanks so much!