Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My mother died in testate on Feb 20th with instructions that

Customer Question

My mother died in testate on Feb 20th with instructions that her estate be divided equally among her three children. I found out, and have pictures from my nephew, of my sister already having distributed her jewelry to grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The estate is in probate. Is this legal?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Could you clarify something for me? You mention that your mother died intestate (i.e., without a will), yet left instructions regarding her estate. Can you tell me the form of these instructions? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok....well...I guess this is something you can't answer. Thank you anyway

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I'm happy to help and I feel confident I can address your question. I was simply asking for a bit of clarification. But, I will happily opt out in hopes another expert can help you going forward.
Expert:  David Kennett replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Can you tell me if the "instructions" were in a will or were just in a personal letter or note?