John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

Can a Will that was probated 18 years ago be used in probate

Can a Will that was probated 18 years ago be used in probate again? My father lived in texas. He just died in february. The only Will we have found is the one that was probated after our mother died in 1995. We have an electeonic copy of that Will supplied to us by the Districk Clerk in the county where it was probated.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Was the will that was probated with your mother a Joint Will that was signed by your mother AND father?

It is VERY RARE to have a joint Will.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it was signed by both.
Then yes, if the Will was "joint will" with both of your parents signing as Testator then you can probate the court filed certified copy of your mother's will for your father. If it is the same probate court then you can request that they probate her will in your father's estate. If it is a different probate court you will need to request a Certified Copy from the probate court and file the certified copy with the probate court in the county and state where your father died.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,