John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

do i need to fill out any tax forms to give recipients to file

do i need to fill out any tax forms to give recipients to file with their income tax returns. the amount of 25,000 was divided among 5 beneficiaries. this is in state of virginia
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

How much income has the estate earned? I assume very little if any.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a property was sold for 120,000 but only 25,000 remained after two mortgages was paid off

Was the property inherited within the last 6 months?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Great Patricia!

There are no tax forms that you need to distribute with the proceeds. There are no taxes owed with this type of estate proceeding. So long as the value of the estate is less than $5.125 million dollars the property gets full basis step up so there is no capital gain tax or estate tax on the sale.

You may want to get each heir to sign a receipt saying that you distributed them the money.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,