John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

What does the executor role in a decease person do?

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

The executor is appointed under the person's valid will. The executor goes to the probate court and qualifies as the official executor. This gives that person full authority to deal with any of the decease's assets and debts.

In basic terms, the executor finds assets owned individually by the deceased. The executor takes control of those assets. The executor then determines what debts the decedent owed by publishing a notice to creditors and pays those debts. Any left over assets are passed to the decedent's heirs according to the will. Once the assets have all been distributed out the executor's duties terminate.

Here is a great guide for responsibilities of an executor (personal representative) in Georgia.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Thank you for the positive rating. I see that you marked by service "good." Is there anything I can do to earn an "excellent" rating from you?