John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

For Expert John Elder, Good Afternoon,

Good Afternoon, As re my former dialogue I discovered my husband had a will (1997) leaving the majority of his estate to his 2 sisters. At present I am VERY concerned about paying the motel bills. The monies that I earned for the motel last summer are, until all the legal papers are processed, are beyond my reach. Do I have to pay my husbands medical bills and credit card bills. I am trying to pay the motel bills to keep the business running (elect-oil-insurance etc.)?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, are you still legally married? Did you ever formally agree in writing to paying his debts and medical bills?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am waiting for an anwer from John.

My apologies but your question did not specify that a specific professional provide you with an answer. I will be happy to opt out and open this question to him.

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Sorry that I did not see your question earlier. Give me some time to review your question and answer.

Reviewing your earlier question, I understand that you have now found the Will that generally cuts you out.

If you are not receiving any assets from your husband then you are not legally liable for debt that was in the sole name of your husband. This would specifically apply to credit card debt.

There is a possibility that you are liable for the medical bills if there are not enough assets that he left to the sisters to cover the cost of the medical bills.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was left with no money assets only a small % of business property which I will try to bump up to 1/3%. I will remain at property as long as I wish but I will have to run the business (the money I earn will be mine). The agreement is the property will be sold whenever I decide and then the division of the proceeds will take place. Is your answer still the same with these additional details.
Unfortunately my answer is still the same. Any assets you receive are subject to use for payment of debts that he may have. That is regardless of whether they are cash or property.
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience: Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.