John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.

Does the person who handled investments and annuities have

Does the person who handled investments and annuities have the right to NOT disclose those assets to the executrix of the deceased persons estate? I was told some investment document changed, not the will, but the dispursion of her investments and that document superceeds the will, as it was done after the will was written. I have not seen the document or how much she had in investments. I was told by the financial advisor that handled her investments that he was not allowed by law to tell me where or how the investments were to be handled. There are no trusts involved.
This advisor is my son-in-law. I know what each family member received according to him, but not what he received. A statement from August 2012 showed $70,000. more than he says she had. I realize he could have lost that anount in the market. But.....?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  John Elder replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

The court appointed executor or administrator of a person's estate is entitled to see ALL account information of the deceased for ALL accounts that the deceased owned at death. This would also entitle the executor to be entitled to all documentation related to those accounts including beneficiary designations.

With that said, if the accounts did have beneficiary designations then the assets in those accounts would pass to the named beneficiaries regardless of what the will says. The will only controls assets that are solely owned by the deceased without beneficiary designations.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience: Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.