John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
18914223

my mother-in- law passed away last Nov.2012 the nursing home

my mother-in- law passed away last Nov.2012 the nursing home she at we had problems getting her back checks from her job . the facility did get her social security checks, not her retirement check . We contacted the job she retired from she work for the government and they said it would take months to process the paper work to pay them. Since then she passed away do we still pay the back checks if we receive them or not. Since her passing are her debts. taken care off
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Any assets she owned at the time of her passing, including checks she is entitled, will have to be used to pay on any outstanding debts. Only her assets are to be used to pay debts. Any assets she owned jointly with people and the personal assets of a spouse and children do not have to be used to pay off debts.