How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Estate Law Answers Your Own Question
Estate Law Answers
Estate Law Answers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1267
Experience:  More than 16 years experience with estate document preparation, litigation and mediation
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Estate Law Answers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I established a living trust and a will in 2008 with an attorney

Customer Question

I established a living trust and a will in 2008 with an attorney (here in CA.) I must now adjust beneficiaries and other details of the trust and will due to my upcoming marriage.
I don't feel especially comfortable with this attorney. Question: will be difficult or expensive to amend the trust and will with a different estate atty, versus the original atty?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Estate Law Answers replied 4 years ago.

Estate Law Answers : Hello and thanks for contacting Just Answer.
Estate Law Answers : No, it should not be any more difficult or time consuming for another attorney to take this over. You will want to have a copy of your trust to provide to your new attorney. Also if you are switching attorneys and if you had your original attorney keep the original of your trust (and will if you also had one done by this attorney), then you will want to get these original documents and have your new attorney hold instead.
Estate Law Answers : You may also want to ask your original attorney to forward you the electronic version of the trust. That way if your new lawyer at any point needs to use certain same provisions, this could be most efficient way .
Estate Law Answers : I hope that this has answered your question. If so, please provide me with a positive rating so that I may receive credit for answering. Thank you very much and I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, the text of your answer was missing. Can you please check what you wrote?
Expert:  Estate Law Answers replied 4 years ago.
Hello again. Very strange, but I also see text in your question that I hadn't seen before. In any event, the answer is no, it should not be any more difficult or time consuming for you to switch lawyers here. It is so important for you to have someone that you trust and are comfortable with. If you are switching attorneys, you will want to give your new attorney copies of your existing will and trust and you can also ask your soon to be former attorney for electronic versions of these documents. In case any provisions need to be taken from the original documents, that may prove more efficient. Another note, if your soon to be former attorney has the originals of your will and trust, then you can ask for these and switch them over to your new attorney to hold for safekeeping (often attorneys will keep these original docs for clients in a safe or other manner for safekeeping).
Estate Law Answers and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions