Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

When a cosigner of a mortgage loan dies is his estate responsible

When a cosigner of a mortgage loan dies is his estate responsible if the person defaults?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. This is usually addressed in the mortgage documents. Usually the death of a party to the loan requires notice to the lender and the lender then has the right to either call the loan or waive the right to accelerate. If they choose the latter, they will either release the estate from further liability or require some kind of collateral be posted by the estate. The death does not automatically release the co-signer and the executor of the estate cannot distribute estate assets to the beneficiaries of the estate until the issue has been resolved with the lender. And, the lender's final determination will be based on the loan to value of the property ratio, the payment history, and the financial strength of the surviving borrowers.

I hope this has given
you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more
general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide
information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up
question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up
questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break
.

If you do have any additional questions about
my answer please click the "Continue
Conversation Link"
so I can provide you with a fully
satisfactory answer.
Please
be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive
no credit for my answers
.

Thanks for allowing me
to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is
not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws
and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband is the cosigner of a mortgage loan for his son in Nevada.
If my husband were to die, am I (his wife and his son's stepmother) responsible for payment from my husband's estate if there is a default?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage or deed.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. You would not have any liability. And, how the lender dealt with estate assets would depend upon the situation with the loan amount versus the home's value and his son's financial strength. If there was good equity in the home ...i.e, the value was much greater than what was owed...and his son had a good credit rating and a good financial statement, then it's likely the lender would simply release the estate and let his son continue on the loan alone. But, if either of the foregoing was at issue, the lender would likely call the loan and force his son to either refinance or sell the house. If there were a deficiency, your husband's estate would be at risk for any shortfall; if the son needed to refinance, you could make an independent decision as to whether or not to help him.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.