How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer Lori Your Own Question
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  Attorney - estate planning and probate.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Lawyer Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I need a tax ID number for my deceased fathers trust? I

Resolved Question:

Do I need a tax ID number for my deceased father's trust? I am the trustee.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 5 years ago.

Lawyer Lori :

Good morning and welcome to Just Answer.

Lawyer Lori :

Trusts are required to have a tax ID# XXXXX to file taxes each year. However, this is only if there is income of $600 or more. So, it looks like you are good for 2011. However, since there is income you will want to obtain a tax number and file this year.

Lawyer Lori :

It is a fairly easy matter to obtain a tax number. Just use IRS form SS-4 found here:

Lawyer Lori :

Instructions are found here:

Lawyer Lori :

And don't forget, keep track of all expenses so that you can use those as deductions against any income. I would also suggest using a tax accountant to do your first year's taxes (at least).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Am I correct to understand since I am renting his home and receiving money from that rent it equates to "income" although it will not entirely cover the total amount still due monthly for his mortgage/fees related to his home? I will still be paying a portion from my own money to cover the balance due.
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 5 years ago.
I know this is confusing, but any incoming money is income (gross income according to the IRS) and then expenses are taken.

You never want to mingle incoming money relating to a trust with your personal money, since that can cause accounting nightmares later, so you will need the tax ID to open the account.

I am assuming that at some point in time, the home will be sold. So the money that you are putting in may be reimbursed back to you.
Lawyer Lori and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions